Our report of Oklahoma’s Fortune 500 companies includes manufacturing, retail, and service industries. Five Fortune 500 companies are headquartered in the state.
Report Highlights for 2020
The report contains:
- The complete list of 500 with known Oklahoma locations
- Biggest jumps in Oklahoma-based companies
- Top 100 newcomers to the 500
- Companies who dropped off the 500.
Oklahoma Headquartered Companies on the Fortune 500
All five Oklahoma-headquartered companies in the Fortune 500 are in the Energy Sector. 3 are based in Tulsa and 2 are based in Oklahoma City.
- NGL Energy Partners, the top ranked OK-based company, was the #4 best performer in all of the Energy Sector for revenue growth at 39.4%. Again this year, they are a big jump company moving up 52 spots to #127 and ranked #1 overall in revenue per employee.
- Oneok fell 57 spots to #313, however profits were up 11%.
- Chesapeake Energy fell 64 spots to #373.
- Williams fell 39 spots to #387, but profits were up slightly.
- Devon fell 122 spots to #419.
- Continental Resources, close to making the 500 list, fell 24 spots to #581.
Aerospace & Defense Companies
Most companies in the Aerospace & Defense Sector had strong 2019 revenue growth and rankings. Results do not reflect the 2020 impact of COVID-19 on airlines.
- American Airlines fell 2 spots to #70. Delta Airlines took their top airline spot at #68.
- Raytheon Technologies (formerly United Technologies) ranks #39 and is #1 in the Aerospace & Defense Sector. They were formed when United Technologies merged Pratt & Whitney, Collins Aerospace and part of Raytheon.
- Boeing dropped 12 spots to #40 and is now #2 in the Aerospace & Defense Sector. Company is recovering from 2 past crashes.
- Lockheed Martin moved up 3 spots to #57 and is #3 in the Aerospace & Defense Sector.
- General Dynamics moved up 7 spots to #83 and #4 in the Aerospace & Defense Sector.
- Northrop Grumman moved up 12 spots to #96 and #5 in the Aerospace & Defense Sector.
- Raytheon (Engineering business separate from Raytheon Technologies) moved up 6 spots to #108.
- Arconic changed its name to Howmet Aerospace and moved up 1 spot to #226. It formed when Alcoa split in 2016 creating the Aerospace & Defense spin-off.
- L3Harris Technologies, formed from the merger with L3 and Harris, was a big jumper moving up 224 spots to #250.
- Spirit Aerosystems with locations in Tulsa and McAlester moved up 14 spots to #406.
Energy Companies (other than OK headquartered companies already listed)
More than half of Energy Sector Companies experienced lower profits negatively affecting rankings.
- Baker Hughes is now a free-standing company again at #129. After 2 years, General Electric divested much of its stake in the company; Baker Hughes revenues were up 4.2% over last year. General Electric fell 12 spots to #33.
- Marathon Petroleum moved up 9 spots to #22 after purchasing Andeavor, while Marathon Oil fell out by 78 spots to #534.
- Phillips 66 fell 4 spots to #27.
- Valero Energy dropped 8 spots to #32.
- ConocoPhillips fell 7 spots to #93.
- Halliburton fell 15 spots to #142.
- American Electric Power fell 12 spots to #204. They own Public Service Company of OK and are the 7th highest ranked utility.
- OGE, on the Fortune 1000, fell 21 spots to #934.
Notable Retailers, Manufacturers, Distribution and Technology Companies
- Walmart remained #1 overall for the eighth straight year, while Amazon surpassed Apple and Exxon Mobil to #2.
- Commercial Metals (CMC) newcomer at #491 hasn’t been on the list since 2016. They recently expanded into Durant.
- Dell Technologies remained at #34.
- Tyson Foods moved up 1 spot to #79.
- Seaboard moved up 11 spots to #444.
- Ingredion Foods who announced a new Tulsa location in 2017 moved up 11 spots to #475.
- Dollar General moved up 7 spots to #112.
- Macy’s fell 2 spots to #120.
- International Paper fell 11 spots to #144.
- Whirlpool fell 14 spots to #162.
- Goodyear Tire & Rubber fell 13 spots to #216.
Your Data and Reports Team
Let us know if you need more information or specific data for site selection or other economic services.